Friday, November 24, 2006

No Shopping, No Dropping

Last year we attended the funeral of Jon's 101 yr. old Uncle Ed. His daughter Mary gave the eulogy for this wonderful man. He had a terrific sense of humor and Mary has a God-given ability to tell a good yarn. Today, thinking of what she had related, kept me home and out of the shopping frenzy. I must admit I have gone other years.

Ed was a small town businessman who was on the board of directors of the local bank. He was loved and respected by his family. After college Mary's first job was as a Pan Am stewardess in the 60's when those jobs were only available to the thin, beautiful and young. Today is different. One of my retired classmates is now a flight attendant so she and her husband can travel free. A friend of my sister-in-law recently retired at 55 after a lifetime at NWA. She said the flight attendant with the most seniority is 84!
When one of Mary's first paychecks arrived she went shopping. She bought three hats. With her dad as a captive audience she modelled each one for him, telling him how they were on sale and how much money she saved. He complimented her and then quietly remarked, "Mary, you cannot save money by spending money." Sage advice from a man with small town values. Today when I was tempted to buy things that were on sale that I did not need, I remembered that advice. The humorous part is I slept late today. My husband the early riser was as Comp USA buying their early bird special of recordable DVDs. Son Dave arrived a short time after I got up and went to Menards. Andy made it for the AM sales to buy his girlfriend her birthday gift on sale. Something strange is going on here.

No comments: