Thursday, November 16, 2006

Retired,Refired......

RETIRED, RETRED, REFIRED, & OVERFED,
COMPUTED, REBOOTED, CONTENT AND OVERSPENT.
LIFE IN THE MIDDLE LANE WHERE IT’S NOT ALWAYS SANE
BUT I CAN’T COMPLAIN IT IS NEVER TOO FAST AND I MIGHT GET PASSED,
BUT MERGERS ON THE RIGHT DON’T CAUSE ME FRIGHT
IN THE MIDDLE LANE


More than once I have heard my husband say, “I love being retired!” Sometimes he says it on a day when I am wondering if I am still relevant. Mostly I agree with him. He has managed to frame his life with people, projects, and the daily tasks of maintenance on a house, yard, vehicles, wife and grown children. His curiosity pushes him to buy new software, learn new programs and still produce interesting videos. He loves to travel but is content at home. He stays in touch with friends made over a lifetime and is interested in meeting new people. He is just a nice person. He keeps regular “office hours”. He has a home office with two desks and two computers that some would find enviable.

If my computer is working well I am in a state of wellbeing. I do not have to make upgrades. Leave well enough alone is my motto. Don’t fix it if it ain’t broke. Jon, always the optimist, regularly adds upgrades, installs new programs and usually asks for trouble. Today and yesterday he has been in communication with IT support. The first people he talked to were from India. He could not understand their directions and was referred to IT support coming from Nova Scotia. The outcome of that detective work was that the fonts he imported from Windows to his Avid Liquid editing software caused his computer problems. He is now enduring all the reinstallations to remedy the situation.

Yesterday at 3:50pm when he announced, “Oprah will be on in ten minutes I had to laugh”. The work day was almost over. I am willing to bet he is not the only retired guy who occasionally watches Oprah. I do not freely admit I watch, but someone is responsible for her ratings and her status as most influential woman in the US. Sometimes a person has to have diversion from life’s problems at the office even if it means watching someone else’s’ problems on Oprah. I think Oprah is aware of that need and will never be retired, retred or refired, but even Oprah struggles with the overfed part.

3 comments:

Mary said...

It's good to be retired? Today I was thinking it's good to be employed again- if only temporarily. It's taken me 3 days to figure that it's even better to be being paid for what I'm currently doing. Short term at least. What is it I am doing? Homework. Websurfing. Tutorials. Walking through the skyway. Going to the cafe on the 4th floor to refill my coffee...Just waiting for the real work to begin...

Unknown said...

I get that whole thing about the retired schedule at home.

Unknown said...

updated travel planning item

The current thinking is to try for two different airports (London and Paris, or Copenhagen and London). Also, skip Italy and the Alps entirely, because both Jen and I could easily imagine a nice morning on a terra cotta villa courtyard, and our kids complaining about needing new AA batteries, and I'm bored, etc.

So instead of relaxing and subtle, we are aimed more at spectacular and interesting. I want to Go-Kart race somewhere non-English speaking though.