Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Boom Site in Stillwater on the St. Croix



Picture: painting by local artist Kami Polzin. I like her stuff. I googled Boom Site and got this. A boom site was the place loggers sorted out the logs according to owner. Everyone pushed their logs into the river and floated them downstream. Logs were marked kind of like cows are branded. Next step was the sawmill. This town was full of sawmills in the late 1800s - early 1900s. As that is left now is a small roadside marker and rest stop.

The other Boomers, that rebellious generation that drives the culture has another adventure coming. I was listening to the radio this morning and someone said that when they retire it will adversely affect the stock market. It is predicted boomers will withdraw funds from the stock market and reinvest in bonds, a safer place to invest that pays steady income. Don't blame me. I am not a Boomer. Born a year too early. I am retired but still in the market. I think I will forego checking to see what happened to my China fund today. I am still reeling from my Financial services funds hit. Anyone have a good idea where to put the $$ besides the matress?

No comments: