Saturday, May 31, 2008

Sex in the City

Vicarious Living

They have lived on in re-runs but how I have longed for a reunion of those old friends from TV land. Although I was married and a mother, their glamorous lives seemed to add some excitement to mine. Thirtysomethings who dated instead of diapered. Thirtysomethings who gave parties and dined out instead of preparing macaroni and cheese.
The heroine’s career, beautiful wardrobe, city apartment, and dating life were an escape from my life. I even envied her slim figure and hair styles, but mostly the time she had to spend lunching with girlfriends. I smiled at the lusty life lead by the blond in the series. A fantasy life. Oh, Mary, Rhoda, Phyllis, and Sue Ann, you were appreciated and still missed.
Haven’t times changed? The movie “Sex and the City” premiers this weekend. We didn’t have HBO and I didn’t watch it. I have seen snippets in reruns and still wouldn’t be the demographic audience for this show, but am struck that they have some similarity in storylines: single girls, city life, creers, dating. Dating with Mary Richards kissing her guys goodnight at the door. Haven’t times changed?

No comments: