Saturday, May 17, 2008

Traveling With a Six-Year Old Uncle


He was not my uncle. He was my son, our "only child" who happened to have two olderbrothers and a sister. When he was six, our oldest son had a son making Andy an uncle. Andywas born when I was nearly 41 and the mother of 13, 15, & 17 yr. old teens. Andy, the adored and adoring little brother. Andy who shadowed his siblings who patiently allowed him in their world.


We once drove to Rapid City and Mt. Rushmore with Andy when he was five or six. To amuse him on the long ride, we played a tape of music his oldest brother made for him. While Andy's contemporaries were listening to the Muppet's music, he loved Lenny Kravitz. He heard "Mr. Cab Driver" about 50 or 200 times all the way to the edge of SoDak and back.

"Mr. Cab Driver"--one of a few Lenny Kravitz songs with lyrics without profanity. I googled it and listened. I think enough years have passed I just might be able to listen to it all the way to Wall Drug again. Not bad music. How is that for a senior citizen?

No comments: