Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Is It Still Water -or- Lake Hammond


We have had rain and warm temperatures the past few days that have made a good dent in our snowpack. When I got up this morning I checked the back yard to see if more of the accumulated water had drained away. The ground is still frozen and a lot of ice keeps the melted snow and rain from soaking in. We have a small lake. It is "still water" in the backyard. Fitting because we live in the town of Stillwater.

Over the years I would occasionally listen to a jazz radio show originating from Minneapolis on public radio. The longtime host was one "Lake Hammond". I thought his name was strange. Who would be named Lake? I discovered my error years later. His name was Leigh Kammen. Leigh is pronounced "lay". He wasn't named after a body of water after all. The ears can play tricks on you. Good to see things in writing for clarification.
Do you think Leigh Kammen, now deceased, would mind if I name the body of "still water" in our backyard Lake Hammond in his honor?


No comments: