Friday, February 20, 2009

That's the Pits


This week there was a dreadful story about a chimpanzee who attacked and critically mauled a woman. We often hear that "wild" animals can be unpredictable. I just don't think of cute little chimps as wild animals. Because of their antics they seem less harmful. What surprised me most about this story was the response of the animal's owner. She had raised him in her home as her "son" for fourteen years, but when he almost killed her friend, she called 9-1-1- and told police to shoot him. We are more familiar with pit bull owners who defend their animals and petition not to have them destroyed after they have eaten some kid.

I have a prejudice against pit bulls. Aren't there enough animal breeds out there without exposing others to the dangers of this steel-jawed dog if it attacks? My husband's nephew is raising a baby with three pit bulls in the house. I don't get it. With that mindset, you can imagine my surprise when I read a story about a local "therapy dog" who is an prize winning pit bull. In a week when institutions might be wary to admit a "therapy chimp" to visit hospitals or nursing homes, a therapy pit bull is a finalist in a national contest by Milk Bone.

No comments: