Saturday, December 23, 2006

Merry Eve of Christmas Eve


One Christmas when we were young and still on the farm we had a thrill on Christmas morning. My sister, or maybe it was me, thought she heard him on the roof. It was magic. Mom and dad smiled. Not to be outdone, our neighbor boy, Joey, said well he had seen santa. It must have been hard for mom to keep quiet. What a sweet time it is for parents and grandparents of innocent children. When our Andy was 2+ he got a call from his Uncle Mike (impersonating Santa ) on Christmas Eve saying he would give him a tricycle if he would poop in the potty. He did that in short order and got the trike! Wonderful conspiracy. Santa always came early to our house. We would be notified by a phone call from someone up the block that Santa was near. Have the kids hide so he would stop early. Worked for quite a few years while they were believers.

1 comment:

Mary said...

That's a rather odd statue. Or not. Kind of reminds me of the statues I saw a few years back of Jesus playing soccer. Something I'd not seen before and just seemed...wrong. But who am I to say? Differently presented. I remember Andy and Santa Claus. That was fun, mainly because he was SO excited about it. I remember going downstairs to 'hide' with him while Santa made his delivery. The look on his face was priceless. It's so darn innocent.