Monday, September 1, 2008

I Got the Horse Right Here, His Name is....


I keep hearing the word "vetted" used by the media. Vice-presidential candidates have been vetted by John McCain and Barack Obama and their advisers. The media has done some vetting. Even sports figures have been in the news while being vetted. Everyone is either vetting or being vetted. You would think there was a synonym for that word, but I only hear vetted and vetting. Hasn't anyone come up with an Ole and Lena joke yet about the vetting? (ie: The vetting was postponed due to rain. Truly some of the vetting has been postponed in St. Paul due to the hurricane.)


I checked the definition to be sure I knew what it meant. I thought it meant to take a good hard look and appraise and that is correct. The word vetting is next to "vet" and "veterinarian" in Websters. Is there a connection? By now you know how I do research. I Google it. I Googled vetting + images just for fun wondering if I would find John McCain and Sarah Palin or Barack Obama and Joe Biden. Instead I found this wonderful webpage full of advice from a veterinarian , Dr. Nancy Loving, on how to do a pre-purchase exam on a horse. I quote her, "Every horse has faults; the exam is a process by which they are uncovered for the prospective buyer to evaluate". Most of her advice could be applied to making a choice in politics.



I guess you don't have to be a past member of the military(a vet) , a horse Dr., or politician to do some vetting. Put the animals to the test yourself before you buy and see how they hold up.
We are making a pretty big wager when we select a president and it isn't enough to just look at their teeth. Follow the link to the article about our famous Minnesota horse Dan Patch. He was a member of a Methodist church. Read for your self.

No comments: