Thursday, January 1, 2009

Time Squared


The New Year's "Ball" drops a lot earlier at our house. In recent years we have stayed in on New Year's Eve and gone to bed before midnight.
Last night we went out to dinner at a Mexican restaurant to celebrate. We went out at 5:30. Ole! People our youngest son's age had probably not even decided where they were going to toast in the New Year by that hour. After dinner Jon said, "I don't think I am going to see the new year." I added, "Not at midnight, but it will still be the new year in the morning. Little did I know that both of us would fall asleep so early we were already getting up before midnight to see the new year in. Old people. Gotta love them, especially if you are them.
I view life as a continuous line coiled in a circle. The middle is the end. Time seems to go faster as you get closer to the middle.
I can't believe it is 2009. We have never gotten a definitive name for this decade, have we? Millenial decade? Maybe. Anyway, I am just happy to be here. Happy Jon and I are both here to see the new year in. Happy New Year to all.
Every day I am thrilled at the new life in our family when I visit the baby blog our daughter publishes online. Those babies are doing the big, outer circles. http://chezdeux.blogspot.com/
Today I am going to watch the Rose Bowl Parade on TV and try to spot my BFF Barb who is watching the parade in Pasadena this year. I think she will look more comfortable in California than the shivering people in Times Square last night. Good plan, Barb.

1 comment:

MJ said...

The only name I have ever heard is the 'noughties'. I really despise the term. Millennial Decade sounds much better.

Happy 2009 :)