Friday, January 2, 2009

Top Ten Things I Am Thankful For in 2009

If you don't focus on what is right in your life you will probably zero in on what is wrong. Take time to cheer yourself up. On the days you feel your lowest, stop and see what is good. Be grateful. Something I read this year had the question, "What if you only got to keep what you thanked God for?" It is the beginning of the New Year and time for inventory.

MY LIST:

It is 2009 and I woke up still here. In the later years of my mom's life she would laugh as the numbers added up on her birthdays and say, "considering the alternative, that is okay". She used humor and did consider the alternative and not fear that either. There are seasons in life. Enjoy all of them. Yesterday I was a little less positive and said to Jon, my husband, "I don't think I like being an old lady that much." He came back with, "Neither do I". Love that guy.

I am thankful for the guy who still loves me and makes me laugh. Forty years of marriage. We have come through a year of several health challenges for him. I am grateful for that being in the past. Grateful for healing and Doctors and kind nurses.

We raised four kids we are proud of and love. I am grateful for all the joys over the years and memories of their growing up. They are now mature adults and I enjoy their company.

Four grandkids: Zach and Mina, Zoe and Roman.

Coffee. I like and am thankful for coffee. (This list is not done in order of importance.) I have a pretty good stash in the pantry in case we have a "nucular" war with South America. When I was a kid on the farm my sister and I tried smoking coffee grounds rolled in paper. We had to give it up when my mom switched to instant coffee---the stuff melted when we lit up. I only lived on the farm until age 9 so you can see I had a degenerate youth. So much for clean rural living.

Friends. Old friends and new. There have been several who have encouraged me and cheered me up this year during one trial or another. When our daughter was going through a difficult pregnancy and delivery they could see the end of the tunnel before I could. Prayer helps. Friends help.

I am thankful I haven't seen "Jon's little pet" that lives in our garage lately. Is it a bat? A bird? It is probably a bat. I am at ease during daylight hours but move in and out of that garage pretty quickly after dark.

My birdfeeder is on my lists of things that bring joy to my life. Jon recently moved it to a spot under the eaves where I can see the birds close up and fill the feeder by cranking open a window. We have downy woodpeckers at the suet and saw many migrating birds this fall. I like the redpoles and finches. On a cold, snowy day they are very busy eating to stay warm.

How did I ever live without boneless, skinless, frozen chicken breasts. Enough said. Low fat and high protein and the convenience of being ready to go. Toss one on the George Foreman grill without even thawing for a quick dinner.

It is clementine season. Yum. Notice how much of my list is about eating?

Public radio.

Books and a good local public library that lets me request books online and after assembling "my order" calls to tell me they are ready.

A fieldhouse nearby where I can walk when the sidewalks are icy or the wind too cold.

Fleece. Nice, warm fleece when the temperature drops.

Granola and yogurt.

The local farmer's market. Buy local produce and keep some of our land in agriculture.

Falling gasoline prices. Hope springs eternal that we won't have $4 gas again.

Newspapers which are an endangered industry. I browse the internet and spend time online, but still love a hard copy to read in the morning. I am thankful someone still delivers it to our door.

Extended family and especially a recent family reunion that helped me get to know some of my younger cousins. (Face it Jane, most of them are younger.) My sister and Jon's sister and their families.

2009 and the election is almost over. Most of you thought it was over, but in Minnesota the senate race drags on. Score now: +49 for Al Franken with more absentee ballots still being scrutinized. Maybe our governor has the power to appoint a "Caretaker Senator" like the Gov. of Rhode Island. Maybe he could send Jesse Ventura out to DC. The media jackals would love it. Hey there is a bright side. They haven't been running any Franken or Coleman commercials since Nov. 4.

See...........that was twenty things I am grateful for, not ten. If you think about it, there are always more blessings than bad things. Happy New Year. Try making your own lists.

No comments: