Sunday, February 24, 2008

Mamas, Don't Let Your Daughters Grow Up to Be Cowboys




I grew up loving Gene Autry and Roy Rogers. I loved cowboy movies. Being a bit of a tomboy, I had a gun and holster. On our recent trip to Texas we indulged my former cowboymania by stopping at the birthplace of John Wayne, The Cowboy Western Heritage Hall of Fame and a museum in Gene Autry, Oklahoma. Then we continued on to real cowboy country--central Texas. Guys are quite likely to drive pickups and wear cowboy boots. My sister said when they go to cattle auctions expect to see women in denim, Stetsons and boots. Working cowboys or ranchers if you will. Our view out the Bunkhouse (named the Ark) was of black Angus cattle grazing and herds of wild deer. A couple of ranches up the road there are cattle roaming free range. This is romantic country. Another thing we found to be true. The stars at night are big and bright deep in the heart of Texas. Beautiful country.


No comments: