Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Sentimental Moment


I turned 63 today. Jon took me out to breakfast in the nearby town of Hudson. As long as we were close, he suggested running over to Somerset on a couple of errands. I wanted to talk to someone at the village office about reserving a pavillion at the park for our family reunion this summer. We were greeted by a detour sign (local traffic only) when we were just past the middle school. We wanted to stop at the village office (in the old Somerset Bank) so drove on. We parked in the lot by the village hall and could see three fire trucks blocking the street up a ways. When we finished our business, only one fire truck remained and the street was open to traffic. We drove up and saw firemen hauling hoses out of grandpa's house. (The house was sold about 30 yrs. ago and is divided up into rental units.) Jon parked down the block and I went back to take a look and talk to one of the firefighters. You could not notice fire damage from the outside except for broken out windows, but he said the inside was gutted. It looks like it will have to be torn down. I have so many warm memories of that place. My mom grew up there. My grandpa had a meat market & store adjoining the house. As a kid I loved to go there. My aunt Lu lived there most of her life until she moved into senior citizen housing. Now, I fear it will be gone. What remains is memories and family. I am glad we are having a reunion this summer in the hometown to share those memories.

PICTURE: my sister, myself and my grandpa outside his meat market.

No comments: