Friday, February 29, 2008

Sleeping Accomodations


Picture titled "Redneck Guest Bedroom" is from one of those joke emails.

We have been planning a little redecorating in our bedroom and probably guest bedroom as well. We need to recarpet, paint, do the window treatment and reorganize the closet with one of those closet systems. I despise the painting, especially the ceiling. This is something I did easily when I was young. Jon would go out of town on business and I would surprise him by painting a room when he was gone. Now, I think about it for a year or two before it gets done. We hired the kids to do the last painting job.
There is a logical order to do these things. I started by cleaning out my closet. Amazing the kind of stuff that was hiding on the top shelves in there. I found an old pair of Jon's swim trunks that probably were there a decade. I also tossed a box of certificates of continuing education I needed for licensure with dates from the late 90's. You get the idea. It has been a while since I looked in those boxes. I have an unfinished needlepoint which I started when we lived in Minneapolis. We moved from there in 1983. The needlepoint matched a navy blue floral couch we got rid of eons ago. I also found Andy's graduation gown from 2004. Did you know kids have to buy those now? I kept it thinking it would make an easy costume for a party!! I have calligraphy instruction books and pens up there. That was a hobby of mine from the late 70's that I always mean to pick up again. There is a also shadow box filled with mementos from my early life. It contains a Shalimar perfume bottle--the first gift Jon gave me when we were dating. There are locks of hair from each of the kids first haircuts. My dad's 2 inch tall teddy bear is in there and a decorated Ukranian Easter egg I bought the first Easter we were married. There are two old tin type pictures of ancient relatives whose name I cannot remember. (maybe I should scan those)
As you might guess, I spent a bit of time on memory lane and did not start painting yet.
My rationalization is to wait until spring when I can open the windows to air out the paint smell.
I did the fun part of redecorating. I bought a new comforter set. My kind of project. Do the fun stuff first.

No comments: