Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Wintersowing


It is too cold. At least we don't have the amount of snow our Wisconsin neighbors have been receiving, but it is too cold. We are again having nights in the double digit minus column. On the brighter side, the first day of spring is only a month away. My friend Judy have me a ray of hope to get through this last month or two of gloom. She went to her first garden club meeting of the year and gave me printed instructions on wintersowing seeds. I have started seedlings indoors years ago. I was disappointed trying to transplant these spindly stemmed hot house plants. When you wintersow, the seeds are planted in containers outdoors when it is freezing. As the soil warms, the seeds germinate when the plants are able to withstand cool weather. They grow in these tiny greenhouses semi-protected but not like hot house plantings. We will see what results I get. She gave me a list of seeds that can withstand this way of planting. They are seeds that self-seed . I chose marigolds, zinnias, and poppy seeds. Wish me luck. Even if they don't do well it felt good thinking about spring and flowers.

No comments: