Saturday, March 22, 2008

Happy Easter

Years ago I had a Memory Box that hung on our wall. It has been gathering dust on the top shelf of my closet for a decade or two. I recently cleaned and painted my closet and took the box down. There were two DeGuerre tin-type photos of old relativesI wanted to scan.
While the glass was off the memory box, husband Jon picked up the 40 yr. old Ukranian Easter Egg I bought the first Easter we were married. It shattered in his hand.
Jon is tactile and has a history of touching everything and sometimes breaking things. Some examples: We stayed at a resort with the kids in the early 80's. The lounge had a trophy muskie mounted on a plaque over the fireplace. He reached to touch it and it came off the mounting. I left quickly. Another time we were shopping at Fleet Farm store and Jon picked up a can of oil-based furniture stain and shook it. The top was not on tight and shellac went everywhere. Again, I left quickly. We weren't even shopping for stain. I learned to make quick exits from going to museums with this guy. We frequently hear the museum guide announce, "No touching the exhibits, please". You would never know I was there with him. I keep my own pace and ignore him. He is just tactile. Last summer when our Chinese exchange student was here she did the same thing. Jon was excited and announced to me, "She is just like me. Tactile!". Whatever. I think more along the lines of naughty boy. I can still hear his mom telling him as an adult not to touch.
http://home.att.net/~solos_holiday/2008/_011/egg.htm

No comments: