Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Romancing the Plane



Do you remember the plane Indiana Jones flew on in the movie "Raiders of the Lost Ark"? It was a Pan Am Clipper. I often wish we still had that plane in service when I fly coach with no leg room ( and no meals). They had couches, beds, full meals and room to roam on those huge planes. Today I booked an April flight to Boston to stay with my old roommate. I used frequent flyer miles and was delighted to get aisle seats. I thought NWA was putting a surcharge on aisle row seats.

The old clippers seemed like a romantic way to travel until I recently read my husband's uncle's memoirs. He was in Naval Intelligence in WW2 and spent time in Africa. He mentioned being stuck for two weeks waiting for the swell of the sea to level off at 6 feet so the Pan Am Clipper could take off. I guess there was a downside. Wouldn't that make a mess of scheduled air in the US today if some of the planes were backed up that far? One weather delay in the east goofs up the whole country and people miss connections, lose luggage etc.

No comments: