Saturday, July 14, 2007

Hot Diggety Dog

We didn't see the Oscar Meyer weinermobile yesterday, although I have seen this in years past. It is a Minnesota invention of course. While in downtown Minneapolis I noticed the many outside hotdog vendors on the Nicollet mall. They weren't there years ago. I like the ambiance of the public art, street musicians (thought scarce), flowers, and even the hot dog vendors.

This morning's paper has a story of government bureaucracy and the little business guy. St. Paul now mandates 2 million $ liability insurance. They also charge a $200 vendors' fee and a $95 monthly fee to see up on the sidewalk. Because they operate a food service outside they are regulated by public health people and the agency that supervises city streets and sewers. Hopefully, no one wants to smoke the hot dogs or sausages. Smoke in any form is not tolerated well in Minnesota. Remember the poor hot dog vendors are also regulated by the people who
shut down the lemonade stand of a seven year old girl last year because she did not have a licence. Public outcry restored her business.

PS: As I wrote this my husband told me the weinermobile was in Stillwater last week. I think there are several of these touring the country.
-55# today. Finally broke through that plateau.

No comments: