Saturday, July 21, 2007

Rock on Grandma-- No Rock of Ages, Just the Ages of Rock are Beginning with Mina

Several weeks ago our ten year old granddaughter told grandpa there was a band she wanted to see at Lumberjack Days. Thursday I called her and asked which one. She told me it was the Jonas Brothers who were playing Saturday afternoon. I volunteered to take her. Her mom smiled and said I was a good sport. Mina was thrilled. This "bubblegum rock band" was heavily promoted on Radio Disney and they are her 2nd favorite band. ( They really do grow up too fast.) I bucked up, braved the heat and sun and enjoyed her having a good time. Years have flown by since I was her age and enamored by Ricky Nelson. I never saw him in person, but held my breath while he played the song at the end of "Ozzie and Harriet". The concert was free and attended by mostly 9 to 14 yr. old girls, the younger ones accompanied by moms or dads or grandmas. We stood toward the back of the crowd on a rise of ground so Mina could see. She was well behaved but followed along with the girls who cheered loudly when the band encouraged it. Of course all these events are overamplified and the bass reverberated in my solid internal organs. No kidding. My liver rocked. I apologized for returning her to her parents with possibly damaged hearing. Mom smiled. She is not that far away in years from overamplified concerts herself. Mina just said her ears were fine, but her voice was hoarse. They really do grow up too fast.

No comments: