Saturday, June 14, 2008

Big Man, Big Loss


Sometime during the last years while we were watching Tim Russert comment on one of the political primaries, I commented to my husband that I would prefer him (Russert) to any of them. I trust him. Not one to rant like so many political pundits, he seemed to stand out above the rest. Truely, he won my heart last years when I heard him promoting his book "Big Russ and Me". It is a tribute to his father.

Yesterday saw many tributes to Tim Russert. Besides his professional excellence, hats were tipped to him as a friend, father, son and spiritual man. Everyone who knew him will miss him plus a lot of people like me who only trusted him.

I doubt if he would have ever entered the foray as a candidate, but I would have been pleased if he had. Meanwhile, as a Minnesotan we are stuck with Al Franken and Jesse Ventura. Yup, Jesse has his toe in the water. They may run against each other. Could Tim Russert have suppressed a smile if he had covered that contest?

No comments: