Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Honor Game or Game Without Honor


There has been reminiscing in my extended family in anticipation of an August family reunion. Old pictures and letters spur on fond memories. At my age I only entertain fond memories. You need to let go of any not so pleasant ones if you can when you are younger.

My grandpa loved to play cards. Pre-television life in a small town years ago, people socialized by visiting or playing cards together. Grandpa was competitive and my mom said he never wanted to go home for the night unless he won the last game. He called it the "honor game". One could lose all night, but it was important to at least win that last game to feel good when you quit for the evening.

Saturday our daughter spent the afternoon at our house. She indulged me in playing a game of Scrabble. We only had time for one game before dinner and she beat me. No time for an "honor game".

Yesterday another friend, Karen, was here and we played two games of Scrabble. We each won one game. I won the last game. I won the "honor game". When I play with her she does not let me cheat and look up questionable words before I play them. She enforces the rules that dictate playing the word and hoping you are not challenged. I must play an "honorable game" with her.
One of my dearest, long-time friends (Barb) and I love to play Scrabble when we see each other. We play by our own rules. We check out words in the dictionary before playing. It all works out. We have the same advantage as the other. I'll keep working on softening Karen up to the alternate "Game Without Honor" of Scrabble.

No comments: