Tuesday, June 17, 2008

A Kind Look Back


We're headed to a funeral this morning for a boyhood friend of my husband's. 65. Dead suddenly from a heart attack. Too much of that lately. I went to a funeral of a 55 yr. old husband of a former co-worker of mine a couple weeks ago. Heart failure. Tim Russert. Too much of that lately.

I'm reading a book that begins with a daughter keeping vigil at the bedside of her dying mom. It is one of the most well written memoirs I've read lately. I had to wait on queue as #134 to get it at the library so feel compelled to read it before the other books waiting for me.

"The Florist's Daughter" by Patricia Hempl is an award winning memoir. I checked if it was still on the best seller list. No. Maybe it is just a local favorite. If you are about my age, or raised Catholic, or Irish descent or definitely if you were from St. Paul, MN you might enjoy this book. It's warm and funny and lovely.

Her reminiscence of her mom telling her to "offer it up" struck a chord with me. This book has heartstrings. Review: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/07/books/review/Trussoni-t.html

No comments: