Friday, June 27, 2008

Wonderful Rhubarb Pie


Jon picked the last of the rhubarb yesterday. He has been working hard painting, staining woodward and working on our bedroom. Today he is assembling some Ikea furniture. Smart woman that I am, I arranged to be gone for a couple of hours this morning. Yesterday I made him a rhubarb pie for a treat after working so hard.

This is an old rhubarb pie recipe I've used for years. I altered it a bit by using 1/2 Splenda and 1/2 sugar. Next time I'll try all Splenda. I didn't have a premade pie crust and I ceased making them from scratch years ago. I used the graham cracker crust I had on hand and it was exceptionally good.

The recipe is from the church cookbook of Yellow Medicine Lutheran Church, Hanley Falls, Minnesota printed sometime in the 70's. Mrs. Clara Berre submitted it.

Funny. These days most women would just put Clara Berre and skip the Mrs. Times change.


VERY BEST RHUBARB PIE *my alterations


2 cups fresh rhubarb, cut into 1/2" pieces
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup granulated sugar or *Splenda/sugar combo
2 eggs, separated
pinch of salt
2 tbsp. flour

Pie shell *(I used graham cracker crust)


Combine rhubarb, sugar, salt and vanilla with unbeaten egg yolkds and flour.

Mix thoroughly. Beat egg whites until stiff and fold in. Pour mixture into pie shell.


Topping

1/3 cup butter

3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar


Cut together with a pastry cutter. Sprinkle over top. Bake @ 350 for 40-50 min.

No comments: