Friday, April 9, 2010

Near Claim to Fame or is it Flame?


Remember the "Six Degrees of Separation" game? It follows who knows who until someone is associated with Kevin Bacon. That never worked for me. No one I know seems to know Kevin Bacon.
Yesterday there was on obituary for Ed "Coots" Matthews, formerly of "Boots 'n Coots" fame. He was one of several associates of Red Adair, a Texan famous for putting out oil well fires.
These guys were wild and daring men who used explosives to extinguish infernos. Remember the oil fires set in Iraq during the war? I can't imagine anyone brave enough to get near something like that. The feds called in Red Adair and Boots "n Coots. They put 'er out and saved the oil plus stopped a sooty polluting raging fire.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boots_&_Coots

What has this to do with me? My husband worked with these guys when he filmed them using 3M firefighting products years ago. He was impressed. Apparently "Coots" was a wild and crazy guy. I am basically a coward and would never run toward a fire. Glad someone does. Hats off to Mr. Ed "Coots" Matthews. Hope your final resting place has no fires.

No comments: