Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The Twilight Zone




If you are in my age group, that title provokes images of Rod Serling and the old Sci-Fi TV series. I think there was a movie in more recent times with the same title and some younger pepople are familiar with the title too. If you are the age of my older granddaughter (thirteen), "Twilight" movies have a different appeal. Vampires are romantic heroes. These dark books & movies have a cult following. When I was her age I read "Wuthering Heights" and "Jane Eyre" which have a similar gothic romance appeal.

Although my age and religion make blood-seeking men unattractive, I ventured into that world yesterday. I gave blood. The Red Cross Bloodmobile was at our church and I volunteered to help with scheduling appointments and registering donors. After years of thinking I couldn't donate due to a possible Hepatitis A infection as a six-year old, I found out I could donate. I feel a debt to the Red Cross and donors because when our daughter had a life-threatening delivery of the twins she needed transfusions. This is payback.

No comments: