Wednesday, February 21, 2007

I THINK I AM A HAM



This is shameless self-promotion from a typical "little sister". Always looking for attention. This is a story I submitted to local paper's Bulletin Board that was in today's paper. They did not change the online site today, so I am copying it below from Microsoft word:

My favorite aunt, now deceased told this story. She lived in a small Wisconsin town and volunteered as a “funeral lunch lady” at her parish. Like many other churches, friends brought hotdishes, jello, salads and cakes for the luncheon following the funeral. The “lunch ladies” made the coffee, set-up the tables and cleaned up after. The family of the deceased were asked to buy sliced ham.
There was a very sick elderly man whose family contacted the parish priest saying there would be a funeral soon. This activated the planning process and the family was told not to worry about the luncheon except their contribution would be the sliced ham. Done deal. The family bought the ham. He lived on. After a week they were beginning to worry. Grandpa was keeping better than that ham would! A few years later when my mom was ailing and slowly dying from kidney failure this became a byword for her to relate her condition to me. It was a “don’t buy the ham day” or the opposite. The MOM in Stillwater.

No comments: