Wednesday, February 7, 2007

STOPPING BY WOODS ON SNOWY DAY....


Wow. Today is the kind of day that helps you to remember why you are living in this zone. It is sunny with a clear blue sky and the inch of fresh snow we had yesterday is still dusting the pines. It is briskly cold, a -5 degrees but without wind and very tolerable with warm clothes. When I pushed the trash can down the drive to the curb this morning I could feel and hear the snow crunching under my feet. It is too cold to melt. Just cold enough to feel like a nice winter day. I hate gray skies. I can take -20 briefly if there is no wind.
First order of business today was doing laps at the fieldhouse. I had walked about 10 or 15 minutes when a friend I used to work with arrived. We walk at the same pace and kept going until I had done an hour. Time goes fast when you are engaged in conversation. After an hour I felt like I wanted to keep going. Think I had the dopamine circulating and had hit a high. When I got home I added a scarf and gloves and did the 3/4 mile circle around our "block". This reminded me of how I felt when I used to cross-country ski. You actually enjoy the cold and snow and when you move enough to get that high. I quit a few years ago when I fell and hurt my shoulder. I became leary of skiing alone on trails where I might get hurt and be alone. Cell phone coverage is spotty in the countryside around here. I gave my skis away. Maybe next year I will acquire another pair of skis and look for someone to go with. Excellent exercise and it sure makes winter more fun. I can do this!
PS. It has been 3 weeks. Still on the routine, but have to argue with the evil twin when I want to do some recreational eating. So far, the good twin is winning. Wish me luck.

No comments: