Sunday, January 6, 2008

Disney Restaurant Bans Kids


That headline will grab your attention. Disney banning kids? I read on. One of the Disney resorts has a new upscale adults only dining room. For $125 a plate couples can escape to a serene world. Spokesmen stated that infrequently someone wanted to dine there with young children. Most were there to enjoy an adult quiet dining experience. Disney folk stated there are 97 other Disney restaurants that are geared to families.


What were people thinking when they brought their overtired, probably squirmy small fry out to a sedate dimly lit expensive restaurant? I began to shake my head. I understand that children can have problems being quiet and well mannered at the end of a tiring day. I cannot always understand that parents take them anyway. Isn't that what Mc Donalds is for? Then my memory kicked in. I often find when I become judgmental my conscience reminds me I have done about the same thing. Years ago, when our grandson was highchair sized, we brought him and the whole family to a local Italian restaurant. It was not an exclusive place, but nice. We sat at a large round table enjoying the antepasta, canneloni and pleasant ambiance. Our munchkin was pleasantly quiet. No screaming or fussing. Mom and dad fed him off their plates. When it was time to leave we noted in horror the ring of spaghetti around his chair. He had also flung spaghetti a pretty good distance on the carpeted dining room while we were busy talking. We slinked out vowing to stick with Perkins next time. Right now it is time to "eat crow."

No comments: