Monday, January 21, 2008

On a More Serious Note

We saw the movie, "Juno" a few weeks ago and liked it. I recommended it on my blog. Then I heard from a Christian friend whom I like and admire, who had reservations about the film. I withdrew my endorsement, not wanting to be controversial. I still believe it is a film with a wide-ranging appeal and a gut wrenching point. It is about a sixteen year old girl who gets pregnant after a daliance with a friend. She is flippant about "nipping it in the bud" (having an abortion), but changes her mind after a picketer at an abortion clinic mentions that the baby already has fingernails. She realizes it is a baby she is carrying and choses to carry to term and place the baby for adoption. The movie is written from a common culture teens perspective. It is not a sermon or written from a Christian point of view. But, it is powerful and has a pro-life message and should be an encouragement to future adoptive parents. It also shows the emotional cost of teenagers having babies.
Someone sent this link today to an article by Star Parker. I read her book, "Uncle Sam's Plantation" and admire her. I guess if she was not afraid to say she appreciated "Juno" I won't be either. http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=59767

No comments: