Wednesday, March 7, 2007

BIRDS OF A FEATHER


Until a couple of years ago, we had a huge ornamental crabapple tree in our front yard. The tree was lovely when it blossomed in May and remained decorated with tiny red apples through the long, barren fall and winter months. That was our view from our bedroom window.
We cut the tree down because it was planted in the wrong place and growing too large, too close to the house. The previous homeowners had not anticipated the growth over thirty years.
For one week in May I greatly miss that tree. It was covered in pink perfumed blossoms that scented the air and dazzled our senses. We no longer have the tree but, our neighborhood is filled with these lovely pink blooming apple trees. You catch the scent of blossoms when you walk down the street.
The other thing I miss are the flocks of Cedar Waxwings that would gather to eat the tiny apples. Whoever spotted them first would alert the rest of our household to observe this visitation. There would be dozens of them stopping for lunch. This time of year in pre- or early spring another phenomenon occured. The fruit had fermented and the birds were affected. Some would fly into our windows. This was distressing to watch, but I don't remember any of them found dead from the impact. Perhaps some had headaches later or even brain damage, but they always found our tree and were a delight to watch. Maybe we should plant another ornamental crab but pick a better spot.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Drunk birds... Did they have little cartoon birds circling their heads when they dropped? I do recall this. The thud wasn't pleasant.

My husband saw a Cooper's hawk swoop up a Blue Jay (or Blue something, I'm not good with names) the other day. Me, I don't like the nature aspect of nature. Leave the cute creatures alone.

Anonymous said...

If I had my way, I would be rescuing bunnies from hawks and eagles. I think if we are carnivores we distance ourselves from the killing and don't feel as bad as when we see a raptor snatch a bird or rabbit.