Friday, March 30, 2007

DANCING WITH THE STARS AND WRITERS YOU HAVE NEVER HEARD OF


If I have an audience, I need to hear from you on this question. Have you ever read or even heard of the writer Proust? I have been arguing with the Bulletin Board editor in three e-mails. He did not believe I had never heard of Proust. I can't believe I am exposing my ignorance, but I had not heard of him. I will allow it's possible I heard of him and forgot. Not only am I ignorant of a famous writer, I am again getting correction on my spelling. Proust vs. Prowse.
Oh, my.

Marcel Juliet: One good Proust deserves another?
Pioneer Press

Reports The MOM in Stillwater: "My daughter dropped off a DVD of 'Little Miss Sunshine' last weekend, and I made time to watch it after lunch today. Steve Carrel plays a character self-described as the 'Number One Proust Scholar in the World.' That went over my head. There are holes in my education. I had never heard of Proust, the writer. (Juliet Proust, the dancer, I have heard of.) [Bulletin Board says: Actually, it was Juliet Prowse - R.I.P.]
"After waiting months on the library waiting list for Nora Ephron's book 'I Feel Bad About My Neck,' I picked up my copy yesterday afternoon. I started reading it last night and this afternoon started the chapter about cabbage strudel. She talks about people making references 'as if they had read Proust, which in most cases they haven't.'
"I may be ignorant of Proust's writings, but am comforted I may be like most people.
"Baader-Meinhof?
"Bulletin Board ruling?"
BULLETIN BOARD RULES: Sure. We'll trust you when you say you'd never heard of Proust - even as we guess that very, very few people who have read a Nora Ephron book have never so much as heard of Proust.
(Of course, it's conceivable that you've run into Proust sometime and forgotten all about it. Few of us, after all, have perfect remembrance of things past.)
D'ya suppose Nora Ephron has read Proust?
Or does she merely want people to imagine that she has?

1 comment:

Mary said...

Yes, I've heard of Proust. Could I tell you why or how? No. I think my Spanish teacher mentioned him (?) when she talked about the strengths of different languages (she spoke several). Proust- French? I just remember she liked German for it's precise organizational abilities. Imagine that.