Sunday, March 18, 2007

THE WEARING OF THE PURPLE


March 16th was St. Urho's Day. On March 24th Finlayson, MN will celebrate with a parade. My sister was born in Finlayson and I was born in the neighboring Sandstone, but we lived in rural Finlayson so I am drawn back. That area was settled by Finns. Not Irish Finns but the kind from Finland. St. Urho, the patron saint of Finland, is famous for helping stop a grasshopper plague. My reason for liking this holiday? Traditional colors to wear are emerald green and purple! My mom made a terrific grasshopper cake that I could try to duplicate. No, it does not contain grasshoppers. It is chocolote cake with creme de menthe and whipped cream. I think I will try and catch the parade. The little town of Finland, MN also celebrated on March 16th.
http://www.brownielocks.com/urho.html

No comments: