Sunday, March 4, 2007

VIEW FROM MY MIND THIS MORNING


This isn't really what I saw this morning. It is a picture taken last fall in Gmunden, Austria in the lakes region. What I wanted to illustrate was the faded blue image of the mountain on the horizon across the lake. This morning in the pre-dawn light the western sky had dark clouds on the horizon that looked like a mountain range. Add that to the blue-white pristine snow covering everything in sight and it was quite a view across our backyard. As the sun came up my mountain range vanished, but it was like looking at the Wyoming vistas for a while. In spite of the inconvenience snowstorms cause, the results are still beautiful. We not longer have children who play in the backyard so we have virgin snow until the rabbits and squirrels leave their little criss-crossing trails.
Friday night we entertained friends who had expressed interest in watching our "home movies" of our Oct. European adventure. My husband is a retired professional filmaker/videographer and we have better than average vacation movies. I am glad for his skill and love to relive great memories through his work.
Perhaps tomorrow morning I will be able to see that western sky with the mountain range again out of my window--"through my mind's eye". We arn't limited to what we catch on film or video if we have an imagination. You probably have the same view of the mountains I did this morning.

1 comment:

Mary said...

This view happened to me last week as I was walking down the hall at work. The clouds were such that it looked like a mountain range off to the north. Pretty cool.

This also happened a few years back when I was driving north on 100 as well. For a split second it felt real, and put me back in the West. It made me realize how much I like it. And miss it. :)I love mountains.