Tuesday, March 20, 2007

NOT A LEG TO STAND ON


Yesterday I received the family Round Robin letter. My uncle had included a photo of this oil painting that hung in my grandpa's butcher shop for years. He received it from a renter named Gleason, I believe, who gave it to him in lieu of rent when he was short of cash. My uncle says this hung in the store about twenty years before one of grandpa's brothers asked, "Why does one of the cows only have two legs?" Apparently no one had noticed. Count 'em. Six legs--two cows.
The painting stayed in the family. One of the Parnell boys now proudly displays it.
A second oil painting by this gentlemen, circa 1920's or 30's, hangs in the low rise senior housing where my mom lived in Somerset.
ps. I am still on the plan. I have eaten dinner for breakfast most mornings the past week. With the nice weather, I am walking more outside. -23 now.

No comments: