Tuesday, March 13, 2007

U2 Can Help..


You will need a fast internet connection to watch the video from this site of Bono accepting an award at the NAACP award show. If you don't have that, read the text. I challenge you to watch this without having a tear in your eye. My oldest son Dan and daughter Mary were among the earliest fans of U2 and Bono. I am glad to see he has used his celebrity to help others. I have heard other videos of his speeches and believe he is sincere. He has the access to powerful people who can make policy changes and he has the attention of little people like us who can soften our hearts. I know we are used to watching celebrities plug various charities, but I respect this guy.

1 comment:

Mary said...

I was flipping channels when this was originally broadcast and remember thinking "Wow, he's really using his celebrity to make a change". Good for him. I was thinking also about some interviews he'd given awhile back. He's not a saint (but who is)? I think though he is a radical Christian, in only the best sense. Good for him. What I like is that he doesn't reach out to just the left either. He's spent some time in Washington...If one thing my theology class has taught me, it's that religion carries with it a lot of cultural crap. It can be hard to let go of some of it...