Tuesday, September 25, 2007

ADLs

ADLs is medicalese for activities of daily living. Retirement is not always about reading books and eating lunch with friends. See the mess we made? I thought we would get the log splitter and finish in two hours. My more realistic husband told the guy he wanted it the whole day. It took us six and a half hours. You can only see part of the wood we split. Note the size of the log on the splitter. Jon lifted most of the big ones. I couldn't budge them. I don't know if he should have either, but we did survive. I dispensed prophylactic ibuprofen before we started. No backaches for either of us and we have all of our digits! We have handled each piece of two trees twice and tomorrow we must stack it all. I didn't have to exercise at Curves today or walk. I am glad I don't do this for a living or live in pioneer times. I like gas heat.
This wood will be used to heat the garage and some in bonfires. It is going to last a long time. Our neighbor was trimming his trees today and came over with a bit more. I joked, "Did we look like we needed more?"

No comments: