Saturday, October 27, 2007

Burning Down the House

We're still standing. Jon had a cooking accident the other day that might have changed that. He is the french frying king. I am extremely cautious the infrequent times I use hot oil. I bought him an appliance to use when he makes his french fries. It has a cover. I like to use it on a snow covered deck --out of the house. He decided to make some french fried shrimp for his dinner. They had been in the freezer long enough and were somewhat covered in freezer snow. He heated the oil in a shallow frypan, burner on high and when the icy shrimp hit the pan it splattered the grease and a flash of fire hit the top of the range! He got it out quickly but it easily could have been disastrous. Why don't we have a fire extinguisher in the kitchen? Indeed, why don't we have a fire extinguisher in the kitchen. I am a believer now.

October is national fire prevention month. Time to test your smoke detector battery. Fires happen fast. Check those batteries. It is 3:30 in the morning as I write this. I think I will wait a few hours before I push that test button. Jon is asleep, but then it might be fun to actually test his response time.

1 comment:

Mary said...

You are becoming mischevious in your retirement. Testing smoke alarms while the husband sleeps, sending him to websites that he can't leave.... It's entertainment I suppose :)