Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Shootout at the I'm Okay, You're Okay Corral but My Computer is Sick With a Virus


We are still dealing with the "Sheriff". Our watchdog program (Windows' One Step) still sends me messages that we have a virus (Spy Sheriff) and asks if I would like to clean it? Yes, Yes, Yes. We would like it gone. The sheriff is still in town and Jon is still gunning for him.

I got printed in Bulletin Board today. Go to the website mentioned if you dare. Really, it won't hurt you. Read below:

The MOM in Stillwater ("qualifying for Densa Distinction"): "I have acquired a dreaded computer virus that my husband has been struggling to clean from my computer. It is called 'Spy Sheriff,' and I hope you never catch it. It poses as an anti-virus. Being only semi-computer-literate, I must have clicked on it at some time thinking it was our spyware. It is extremely hard to get rid of, and I may end up with that blue screen surprising me some day. Conventional methods, and even newly purchased software pitched as being able to clean up the 'Spy Sheriff' virus, haven't worked.
"I frequently go to the Web Site of the Day on Bulletin Board. Yesterday's Densa Quiz [www.fakecrap.com/densa.html] was interesting. I have taken some of those Mensa sample tests and thought this would be fun. It was. I couldn't resist forwarding the Densa Quiz site to the techno husband. It gave him a few nervous moments when he found he couldn't easily close the site.
"It probably isn't nice to tease the guy who keeps my computer functional

1 comment:

Mary said...

You know I read this (i.e. "It gave him a few nervous moments when he found he couldn't easily close the site."), I even poked around the site a bit and saw it was full of pranks.Yet I still had a moment of panic after clicking through some of the popups at the end. Mike was sitting next to me taking the quiz, which produced some DOH! responses, and then I thought the popups were the joke. But when I couldn't get out....well that isn't fun. Mike then instructed me on my exit (something I hadn't yet gotten to in my bag of computer tricks).And I spent the next 5 minutes trying to explain to him why that wasn't a nice trick for my mom to play on my dad (but I would have done the same thing :) )