Friday, October 5, 2007

The Password Is...


The Password is Allen Ludden. You have to be a "certain age" or an afficianado of the Game Show Channel to know who Allen Ludden is.

We took a little trip into southwestern Wisconsin following the fall color Wednesday and Thursday. Our intention, to spend the overnight in New Glarus. Sorry, no room in the inns. A convention in Madison overflowed twenty miles west. Our next choice was drive on to Mineral Point to find a hotel. (More on this area in future blog).
Looking at the visitors packets we saw a designation at the local cemetery for Allen Ludden's grave. I remarked, "I wonder if that is the Allen Ludden of Password fame". While eating breakfast at a small downtown restaurant, we spotted a faded picture of Allen Ludden, the TV gameshow host, shaking hands with a local dignitary. I assume it was a local dignitary. There were clippings about the event happening in Mineral Point. This was his home town. We found his grave in the cemetery. I was touched that is was small and the inscription says "Capt US Army", not TV personality. Neat. I googled him of course. Link:http://www.tv.com/allen-ludden/person/61350/biography.html

1 comment:

Mary said...

I even know who he is, am I of a 'certain' age, or did I just watch too much tv as a kid? I guess I could find this out by following the link, but wasn't he married to Betty White?

Graveyards can be interesting places to visit. And as Dad would say they are often in the dead center of town.