Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Fair Sweethaven or Sweet Fair Haven ?


Yesterday my sister forwarded my brother in-law Mike's sister's memoirs. I loved reading it. We have some similar stories. I found out the family had originally lived in Fair Haven. I had never heard of the town so inquired where it was. The name sounded familiar. Mike answered that the town is near Kimbal and St. Augusta in central Minnesota. Isn't that where mythical Lake Wobegone is located? Our son Andy, who attends St. John's, lives on the edge of the Lake Wobegone trail. If you haven't heard of Lake Wobegone (shame on you), it is the little town that time forgot where all the women are strong, the men are good looking, and the children are above average. I wonder if all the women are good looking in Fair Haven. Sweet name.


The name Fair Haven seemed familiar. Wasn't that also the town where Popeye lived? Did you see the 1980's film? The set built on the island of Malta is still a tourist attraction. Googling got my answer. It is called Sweethaven. Sweet Pea lives there. I loved the cartoon-like set for that movie. Sweethaven, where all the men are strong (Brutus and Popeye), the women are good looking (like Olive Oyl), and the children are as cute as peas in a pod.

No comments: