Saturday, August 16, 2008

Greek Week

Me and about 5 or 6 billion other people have spent recent evenings monitoring Olympic favorites. Michael Phelps. Lots of hype about Michael Phelps. Today on "Today" there was an interview with his mom. Michael was an ADHD kid growing up. Medicated on school days to help him focus. He seems pretty focused right now. Chalk one up for the ADHD kids! Chalk one up for his mom and coaches who channeled that energy and gave him direction. Nice story.
Starting Sunday, for five evenings, I have waited to see Mike's event. I also stayed up later than usual to see the end of the women's overall gymnast competition. Five nights in a row I dozed off and missed part of what I had wanted to see. I'm grateful I could catch up in the re-plays. I tried drinking more coffee later in the day. I tried Coke. I still dozed off and missed things I wanted to see. (Another kind of attention deficit on my part.)
That experience jolted another thought. Sometimes I live my life missing wonderful moments. Missing opportunities to tell people I care about how important they are to me. Missing opportunities to do things for others. Not being aware. Too comfortable. Too well-fed. Forgive me and thanks for taking the time to read this blog.

No comments: