Friday, August 15, 2008

The Royal Oui


Yesterday I had time to more thoroughly peruse the Parnell family book my cousins -in-law published for the recent reunion. Toward the end of the book is a page titled, "Descendants of Kings of France and England". It tracks our ancestors back to generation 28 where we are found in the lineage of Louis VI, King of France in the 11th century. In generation 29 is William the Conquerer (1027-1087). Remember the Battle of Hastings? The Norman King who was William the Conquerer, first King of England? Kin.

Jon smiled when I showed him the list. Not a believer. Lots of people claim to be descended from royalty and there are a lot of fraudulant claims. Who knows. Anyway, there they are. Names. Dates. Kings. He reminded me that in his geneological quest he discovered his family name is a derivative of Baltezar, one of the three Magi (also kings). He does not have the actual names and dates like us. Also puzzling, Baltezar was the black king and Jon's family is the poster child for Aryan nation: natural blonds with blue eyes. Hmmmm.

I emailed my eleven yr. old grandaughter Mina telling her what I found. She is quite impressed.

I also called it to the attention of my sister who responded now she was "entitled" to be called Madame Queen. Madame Queen is how she refers to herself. We have smiled about this for years. Her husband and sons have always treated her like a queen. Her wish is their command. All in good humour.

If my sister is "Madame Queen", what am I? Too old to be a Princess, although that is what Anne of England is still titled. You can only have one Queen in the family. Would I just be Madame? Madame Jane vs Jane the Madame? Doesn't have quite the same ring of respectability to it.

No comments: