Thursday, August 21, 2008

They Do Call Them "Pasties" in the UP


I took pictures of just two of the many signs I saw for pasties. One pasty, two pasties. Ate one two at Toni's Cafe in Laurium, MI on the Keneenaw peninsula out by Copper Harbor. Everytime we asked someone in the area where to get the best pasty, they recommended this place.

We were at Toni's about 10:30am and I was afraid it would be too early to get a pasty. No problem. Later we saw them making them production line style in the kitchen. A waiter said they serve about 200 / day. Record is 900/ day.

Jon had a big, hot cooked breakfast complete with a cinammon roll for dessert. I had the pasty and raspberry cobbler with ice cream. We both had coffee. The bill was $13.65. If I go broke I may move there. Looked like you could get a good deal on a modest home in that town. It is an economically depressed area with friendly, hardworking people who are resilient enough to withstand cold, snowy winters. Maybe I would just live there in the summer and winter in Arizona unless I found an active chapter of Scrabble or Cribbage players.

Laurium, MI is also the hometown of George Gipp of Knute Rockne and the Four Horseman fame. "Win one for the Gipper" is a line uttered by a young Ronald Reagan when he acted in a movie about Gipp and the famous Notre Dame football squad. They have a memorial to George Gipp in a pocket park in the town.

http://und.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/allambios/nd-m-footbl-gipp.html

This is a quote from young George to famed coach Knute Rockne uttered on his deathbed. It may sound familiar if you saw the spoof of this in the movie "Airplane".

"Acclaimed for his football prowess and natural athletic talent, it is undoubtedly the parting words to his coach that fuels his legend. As lore has it these words were spoken from his deathbed:"I've got to go, Rock. It's all right. I'm not afraid. Some time, Rock, when the team is up against it, when things are wrong and the breaks are beating the boys -- tell them to go in there with all they've got and win just one for the Gipper.I don't know where I'll be then, Rock. But I'll know about it, and I'll be happy."As Gipp requested, these words were used to inspire “the boys” in the November 1928 game against Army, and they did “Win one for the Gipper.”

No comments: