Friday, August 29, 2008

Home Alone

I'm tagging along with my friend Mary today and volunteering at an adult day care facility most of the day. They are having a Labor Day barbeque and need a few extra hands to get the clients outdoors.
Jon will be home alone. Not a bad thing to have the house to yourself for a day. He already told me he plans to cut the grass. I told him not to. Too wet. There is a soggy corner in our yard and we had 2.5 inches of rain yesterday. When he uses the riding mower, which he will, it leaves deep ruts. I guess I am a control freak. He can figure it out by himself.
Hope I don't get a call to bail him out of jail. The squirrels who raid our bird feeder have been getting his goat. We have hummingbirds and lots of goldfinches at those feeders and a few big, plump-tailed leaping rodents. When Jon spots them he reaches for the BB gun. I cringe. Not legal in town and what about the neighbor's cats who slink around back there? Still he continues to take pot shots at those squirrels. I don't know if they learn from hearing BBs whiz by their heads. I don't think the gun is true enough to hit anything. A couple days ago I thought I heard him chasing one around the house and shooting. I was wrong. He only does it from the deck. Just call him Bwana. Great White Hunter. Score so far: Jon -- 0. Squirrels--a lot of nice snacks. I'm not sure anyone can win in a head to head match with them. So far the cats look healthy.

No comments: