Monday, August 11, 2008

Time In A Bottle


After months of planning, we had a wonderful family reunion over the weekend. Great weather, great turnout, great getting reacquainted with cousins and acquainted with their offspring.

One becomes aware of the passing of time, but forty years seems more recent to someone my age. I told one of my younger cousins how I thought of him and his brothers as my "baby " cousins. He laughed and said he would be 52 on his next birthday. Sobering. Still my young cousins. I am among the oldest of the group.

We grew up with 28 first cousins. Three have died. Most of the remaining cousins attended the reunion. Only two of mom's brothers and one sister are still alivefrom a family of nine sibs. We fondly remember the rest and miss them.

My kids generation has far fewer cousins and aunts and uncles. They have different experiences. I hope in the future they will continue to treasure each other and be planning their own reunions when they are my age.

Time. You can't make it stand still. I do try. Anticipating this reunion I bought a bottle of Olay age defying anti-wrinkle lotion. I have deep creases under my eyes I hoped to minimize. They promise noticable improvement in five days. This morning I asked Jon if he could see any improvement. He looked, then said, "I didn't notice those wrinkles before". Oh, the blessing of having the same husband for forty years. The blessing of growing old together. Both of us have wrinkles and dimming vision!

Time passes. You might Botox the wrinkles, tighten the face surgically, but someone will still be able to tell how old you are by the number of pill bottles on your refrigerator. We have Ibuprofen, vitamins, Biotin (for thinning hair), glucosamine, tylenol. antacids, and zinc supplement I can spot from here. That's not counting Jon's nine Rxs. Time in a bottle. Buying more time. Hope it works. Time to go. Ole.

No comments: