Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Leftovers - Poe-purr-e - Things to Ponder


Yes, I know how to spell pot pourri. I just like this better. My excuse for this rambling? It is a rainy day. A rarity this summer. We have kept the flowers and lawn alive dragging the hoses around the yard. Very little rain this summer.


Today it is raining. It is gray and dreary and not raining much. Add that to Olympic withdrawal and I am bored. It is my fault. There are a lot of things I could do. I took a nap this afternoon.


My mom always used up leftover food. Don't waste. The children in China are starving. Not anymore, mom. They looked pretty healthy to me but we saw what the government wanted us to see.


Here are my leftover musings. Not long enough for a story of their own.


Quote from Bob Dylan: "Fishing is about timing. You should have been here yesterday."

Always yesterday. The truth is, I live in a state of 4 million people and 2 million boats. (Those numbers are close.) Any suspense why there aren't any fish left in the lakes?


If you are a gardener you may agree that if you plant one zucchini plant you won't be able to consume or give away the produce. Tomatoes are more welcome. Even if you have a lot of plants you will be watching and waiting for them to ripen.


I was so bored last night that I tuned in the Democrat Convention just to see what color pantsuit Hillary Clinton was wearing. Could she have won if she had worn a dress occasionally? I am not pointing fingers. I don't care. If I had to stand on a stage like she does, a dress might seem risky with all those photographers standing below. Barack Obama NEVER wore a dress and won anyway.


Every year the State Fair Board in Minnesota allows vendors to audition new food for the fair. Best applicants put it on a stick. This year's hottie is chocolate covered bacon on a stick called a "Pig Licker". The vendors make enough $$$ selling their product during those ten days to live on all year. The new foods, which are usually deep fried and greasy, are heavily promoted by the media. The media also carries commercials for Boston Scientific, Guidant and St. Jude Medical --the makers of cardiac stents. See a conspiracy here, or at least a conflict of interest?


The new bridge over the Mississippi in Minneapolis that replaces the collapsed bridge will soon be finished. It took less than a year to build start to finish. Stillwater has been trying to get the State and Feds to replace our antiquated bridge since the 1960's. That is slated to happen in 2024. Maybe we have to take a dive too.
With all the time in the world I have not cooked dinner. I am serving leftovers for that too.




No comments: