Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Harry Potter and the Cereal / Serial Novel -or- Where Have You Done With My Imaginery Friends??


What's for breakfast? Harry Potter Pops? No. This really is not about cereal. It is about serial novels. Fans are awaiting the release of the last of the Harry Potter books with mixed emotions. They want to read the latest installment of the characters' adventures but they do not want the stories to end. Some speculate they will kill off Harry in the last book. I don't think she will, not if she understands her readers.

Since I have been retired, I have given myself licence to read, read, read. I have mixed serious books with light reading. My favorite thing is finding an author who develops a character I grow to know and love and reading the whole series beginning to end. There is always a let down when I read the last of the series. Wishfully, I wait for another book to come out. Many have attributed the Harry Potter series with engaging children in reading--a good thing. I have concerns about portraying the dark world of magic and warlocks in a positive light. Good vs. evil books are okay if the truth is portrayed, but not if magic arts are held in a positive light. Hopefully, children will not be left viewing the dark arts as good and aspiring to be little warlocks. We grew up with the Wizard of Oz and the "Good" Witch Glinda, didn't we? Think about that classic.

Well, I will be understanding of the hype around Harry Potter's next book and movie while I contemplate my friends in printed word: Dave Robicheaux, Anna Pigeon, Lucas Davenport, Kinsey Milhone, Hanneh Swensen, Fr. Blackie, Theodosia and her Tea Shoppe, Alex Delaware and the most guilty pleasure -- Stephanie Plum. May they not rest in peace. Authors--to your computor. No slacking off. I am awaiting the next book!
PS. I remembered another Stephanie Plum book was due out in May. That sent me to the library's request list where I am now #284 in line.

1 comment:

Mary said...

It is nice to find a good series, my only problem is remembering who's who and what's what. I was enjoying the Mitch Rapp series (Vince Flynn), but never remember if I've read the book until a good 20 pages in... I got through a few Harry Potter books (and liked them)...maybe I'll wait until they are all done and read them all.

There is something nice about suspense, and waiting for a year or two between books to find out what happens, well that's awesome and SO out of place for our culture! Hurrah.