Sunday, June 24, 2007

Life In The Middle Lane


Today's paper has a quote from Jerry Seinfeld, "After the TV series, I really didn't want to do anything and I still don't". I guess his life was well funded and he had that option.


I'm not advocating sloth, one of the seven deadly sins, but we have become a nation of overachievers in my opinion. I heard someone comment on the radio yesterday that she had seen a man running with an infant strapped to his front, while reading a book and wearing a headset. Multitasking at the extreme. We seem to have forgotten about smelling the roses.


My husband warned me about being retired. Everyone will hold you accountable for how you spend your time. At first I needed to be busy and continued to work a bit. Finally I realized I had worked forty years as a nurse and that was probably enough. I still run into people who are surprised I don't have a part time job. One newly retired friend occasionally asks me what is on my agenda today. She plans her days out in blocks. Sometimes I do. Sometimes I don't. This week when we were able to get away spontaneously for three days I realized I love being free.

I'm sorry mom, I never understood why you didn't get another job after you quit waitressing.


This essay in "My Turn", a Newsweek feature, amused me.

No comments: