Saturday, June 9, 2007

I May Have Created A Monster


In the past week and a half we have been working hard sprucing up the home place. I even painted the old family room. We have moved and removed furniture to clear space for the carpet and new kitchen floor. Jon has been touching up paint. I've been "deep cleaning" and generally been busy.

Earlier in the week we had days of heat and high humidity followed by an extremely gusty, windy day. The next day we spent time cleaning up the yard of downed twigs and leaves blown off the trees. Yesterday was a day of low 70's and clear blue skies. The humidity was down. No wind. We took the day off to play.

We started with a bike ride. That turned out to be a short distance when we stopped to go to an estate sale in the neighborhood. This sale had lots of tools and guy stuff. Jon found a nearly new fertilizer spreader at a bargain price and some other tools and four DVD movies. Then his eyes lit up as he spotted a vintage 1977 full size ice blue Buick for sale at a reasonable price. $2800 or "make an offer" the sign said. The woman running the sale was a former co-worker of Jon's at 3M. The car belonged to her father in-law who was going into a nursing home. She said he was the original owner and he had always taken of it. The upholstery was in good shape. No bumps of scratches or rust on the vehicle. Jon ruminated but realistically had to back away with the line I usually use when I find bargains, "Where will I put it?"

Last week I found I sweet little antique secretary desk at a garage sale. I think these recent finds whet Jon's appetite and when we made our cheese curd run to Ellsworth it was Jon who would spot the garage sale signs and ask, "Do you want to stop?" I may have created a monster.

A nice one. Next thing we may have to have a garage sale to lighten up on our stash.

No comments: