Sunday, November 25, 2007

Annette and Frankie at the Beach --Revisited


Jon told me about a TV program he watched this morning. A twenty-something guy decided to investigate what it would be like to live retired. He spent six months in a Florida retirement complex observing the retirees lifestyle. He told about people socializing in cliques; some were card players, some golfers, others played tennis. The widowed women greatly outnumbered the available men. The men were popular. I remember when my father in-law was widowed he was pursued, sometimes aggressively, by older women. He was an attractive outgoing, fun guy. He was also very handy and could fix almost anything. Jon asked me if I knew what quality was the most valued by these older women looking for a man. I didn't say money, assuming they already had some if they were retiring in a comfortable Florida condo. I figured they would want a guy who could fix things. Wrong. I guess they have maintainance men at those complexes. The men who could drive at night were the most in demand!

Two weeks from tomorrow we are heading to Ft. Myers Beach, Florida for a weeklong vacation on the beach. This is a place older people go. It is not like South Beach in Miami where you need that beach body perfect. I wouldn't feel comfortable there. Oldsters go to the gulf coast to watch the sunsets and eat the early bird special dinners. They go to the beaches where the bodies are likely to have wrinkles and sags. We will join them. I plan to keep a close eye on Jon. He still drives at night. Got to keep the cougars at bay.

No comments: